Awarded to up to two MA Philosophy students at FUS in the 2023-24 Academic Year
For the 2023-24 academic year, the Hildebrand Project (HP) will fund up to two one-year scholarships for FUS MA philosophy students interested in working on Dietrich von Hildebrand. Applications for work on personalist thinkers (e.g., Wojtyla, Scheler, Stein) or Hildebrand’s immediate traditions (e.g., personalism, phenomenology) will be considered, though work on Hildebrand will be given preference. Up to $5,000 will be provided, if both scholarships are awarded. These scholarships, an expression of the fruitful relationship between the HP and FUS, will deepen and maintain the historical connection between FUS and personalist philosophy, while advancing new scholarship on Hildebrand and carrying forth the personalist tradition.
Scholarship Amounts in 2023-24:
- $2,000 for a first-year MA philosophy student
- $3,000 for a first or second-year MA philosophy student writing a MA thesis or one of two conference papers on Hildebrand (or related thinkers/traditions).
- Funds can be used at the scholarship recipient’s discretion for expenses related to their MA studies, including for tuition, living expenses, books, laptops, and so forth.
- Statement of purpose (1-3 pages) explaining the applicant’s interest in Hildebrand (or in related thinkers/traditions), how they will pursue this interest as a student in the FUS MA program, and how the work funded by the scholarship supports their longer-term aspirations, whether in academia, teaching, ministry, or any other field.
- Personal, intellectual, and professional (if relevant) biography (1-3 pages): How did you get here? Where are you going?
- Academic letter of recommendation explaining the applicant’s suitability for the scholarship.
- One academic paper of any length.
- Resume or curriculum vitae.
- Complete application submitted to email@example.com. Letters of recommendation may be sent directly to this email.
- Submission deadline for 2023-24 academic year: April 22, 2023
- Scholarships are awarded by the HP’s grants committee to admitted MA philosophy students.
- Award decisions will be communicated by May 15, 2023.
Opportunities During and After the Scholarship Period:
- Recipients will have the chance to work with senior Hildebrand scholars, including FUS Professor Emeritus John F. Crosby.
- Recipients are expected to participate in the HP’s annual summer seminar at FUS.
- Recipients will be invited to apply for the HP’s advanced programs, including weekend colloquia (travel stipend, room and board), advanced readings groups, and so forth.